29 November, 1942
Camp White, Oregon

Dear Aunty Clara:

Last night after I finished writing your letter, I went back to the barracks to read the paper. That Portland News has very poor coverage of the war and This Week didn't have anything special in it this week so I was finished with it in short order. Just about that time, 9:30, they came in and turned the lights out on us. Most of the fellows were still dressed having just come in so we promptly walked across the street to the day room. (They should call those things night rooms because you can't go in them except after supper.) They have a ping-pong table, three or four writing tables, a Coca-Cola machine, a dart throwing game, playing cards, checkers, chess, magazines, a radio, books, pamphlets, old papers etc., in the room. I spent most of my time throwing the darts with a couple other fellows. If I practice long enough, I will be able to go to Sarah Carey's carnival at the St. Francis of Rome's church and win all the little horse-ash trays I want. I stayed there until 11:00 when that closed.

Since today was Sunday there was no Reveille and we woke up about 7:30 and ate at about 8:00. Then I came down to the office with about 6 other fellows and we did a rush job on getting the soldier qualification cards typed up for the Company Commander Hanton. I typed a sheet up for the Commander which listed all the officers of the Regiment and the Company. After that I typed a letter of reference or something or another for one of the privates. All that took me until 3:00 then I began to do some of my own work. First I arranged all my correspondents on a sheet of paper, drew a line for each one and then made room for the next two months of mail. This way I know just how many letters I have sent out and how many letters I get back and from whom. I am as yet undecided as to whether I shall include the dates that I send and receive the letters or not. It is another of those affairs which you used to laugh at. I spent over half of an hour lining the thing up and getting all my symbols noted and will probably never use it.

After lunch I took a walk down the main street of Camp over into the 351st Engineers territory. I tried to get the Service of Supply Insignia that-a way but they didn't have any. I did buy two handkerchiefs, however, for 9¢ apiece. I only have one clean handkerchief and the laundry doesn't go out until tomorrow. These handkerchiefs are not white but a soldier brown.

We are still getting served in the last mentioned way I told you about. We have also had coffee for the last three days. Today was one of the days when they pass out all the ice cream a fellow cares to eat. I took two and one half pieces of the ice cream. At breakfast I noticed a couple fellows at one table didn't use their milk for their oatmeal so I walked over and helped myself to a quart.

I still haven't found a box to send the hat and grip home in. They don't sell them at the PX either. When we got up this morning, it looked as if it may have turned into a nice day; but not even two hours later it was a black as pitch and raining to beat the band. It is not raining now but the sky is pretty much overcast. I don't think I am ever going to get a chance to take any pictures. Did I tell you that I was wrong about having to send the camera home and that we may take pictures but are restricted to certain areas of the camp for them?

I intend to write a few more letters today and you may consider them as additions to this one. At this point, I just typed up (as a favor) 14 copies of a basketball bulletin for Sergeant Nyalka.

Gumbuy for now,
/s/ Roman
Roman Klick s.c.
(student clerk)