Camp White, Oregon
December 7, 1942

Dear Aunty Clara:

I got the cookies today. Boy o boy they really hit the spot and I don't mean maybe. I almost didn't get any of them believe it or not. I started at the end of the office and began working my way thru it. By the time I reached the last man I didn't have a dozen left. I then hurried back to my desk with the remaining few and, by golly, if those vultures didn't swarm down on me and begin taking "seconds" out of the box. I promptly stuffed the rest in my pockets and ate them as fast as I could. I don't want to disparage the fruitcake but those cookies consisted of the best honest to goodness good stuff I have had since I've come to Camp White. I am not going to have the fellows sign for the cookies because I have already told you about that little stunt and there would be no novelty to it. Another fellow got a box of stuffed dates and we all had one with the cookies. Maybe it would be a good idea next time for you to decide in advance how much I should keep for myself and how much I should give away and then wrap mine up in a separate package inside the whole thing. Of course, I couldn't save any for after lunch so I was pretty full when chow time came around. Cpl. Censky had said that the cookies would come in pretty bad shape but even he was surprised that they were not a mass of crumbs and had remained intact. The waxed paper was probably responsible for their keeping so good. Gosh, I sure have found the cookie situation worth talking about, haven't I?

You will note that I have enclosed my "thank you" note to RH&R for their "good wishes and best regards". I cut the thing rather short, as you notice, because I had very little time to write it in. At first I had wanted to write a general narration but it didn't see quite appropriate and then I decided to write two notes; the one I did write and another chatty one. I never did have time for the second because of an imminent air raid alert.

Frank Drews wrote me an answer to my letter and guess what? Bob Garrett is stationed at

Camp Walters, Texas
60th Infantry
3rd Platoon Co. A
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I wonder if he and Ricardo have met and made each others acquaintance yet. That is a good one, isn't it?

It was rumored that we were to have an air-raid alert at 7:00 P.M. so I double-timed it back from the office at 1845 and changed into fatigues and leggings. I was not going to ruin a second pair of O.D.s. Then the fellows in the barracks were learning how to prepare their equipment for inspection. I thought I would "get on the ball" and find out a little bit about my stuff. But, by gosh, when I was pondering over my Soldier's Handbook trying to see how to place the things the Sergeant Wagaman did not shout out a sarcastic, "Wise up, boy, wise up". No, he said to Ted Wolinski, the fellow on my right, "Help this guy out, he hasn't had much of it". And still later in the evening as I was painfully reaching a semblance of order and similarity to instructions he came by and said, "Aw, forget it Klick, put the stuff away" and you know what I answered? I said, "No sir, I might have to know this someday so I'm going to stick to it". I don't think that day is going to be to far off. I believe I am to go with the fellows on an overnight hike and encampment. We will eat supper with messkits in the field and sleep in our shelter tents rolled up in a blanket on the ground. Some fun, eh? I only hope it is warm Friday night.

The guys were really getting "gigged" today. I left one button unbuttoned but I guess the Louies, Capts and Majors who inspected the barracks overlooked it because my section passed inspection.

I sent out the film this afternoon by regular mail. The tube was in the rolls.

O yes, we had a 5 minute warning by 1st Sergeant Driscoll that we could expect the raid alarm any minute. He said we should dress up warmly because we may have to stay in the fields for quite a spell. I immediately changed into my winter underwear. The fellows thought I was batty but you know I don't mind changing clothes. Anyhow, the lights went out with my equipment all spread out so I began assembling the things in the dark. We didn't go out after all and the all clear sounded shortly afterwards.

Incidentally, some army slang --- "At ease" means give me your attention but don't talk or stop talking.

If you go down to that military store to buy the buttons and insignia, buy two or more of the brass buttons and if the insignia (SS) cost 20¢ or less get a couple dozen --- the fellows will be willing to buy them. This is what an Engineers lapel button looks like. The castle is raised from the surrounding surface by about an 1/8 of an inch.

Engineers lapel button
the cost about 45¢ a piece in Medford. The Service of Supply looks like this in cloth.

Service of supply insignia

they cost 12¢ at the PX and 30¢ and 25¢ in Medford, when available. Every man needs least 7 of these.

I also heard that they can't get the steel for film rolls and what film is in stock is all we will have for the duration so guide yourself accordingly. Film is usually good for a year. All film is dated on the box.

I also received your Friday today. More comment on it later.

I will have to close this letter now as it is approaching 2300 and bedcheck. You know, this army sure does keep a fellow hopping. I haven't had time to relax and do sheer lazy things the way I used to. I never waste time just gazing into space anymore. In my spare time I can't even get decent letters off to you let alone to everyone I want to. What I want to continue to happen is what has happened for the last week. I haven't had one mail call go by without one or more letters for me. That is something. I can always look forward to that letter or something around 1100 or 1700. We even have one delivery on Sunday as you are probably aware.

So long,

P.S. If you see Señor G. tell him I'm real busy, as I am, and apologize for me not being able to write.