Cpl Roman F. Klick 36620923
Co "A", 353rd Engr Regt
A.P.O. #502, c/o Postmaster
San Francisco, California
July 22, 1943

Dear Aunty Clara,

Say, being overseas has brought back the old deluge of mail reminiscent of the good old days at Camp White. This evening when I came into the tent, Burkard told me that I had some mail and was surprised when I said I didn't get any. He had given it to Ray Gradler to bring into the office. At the time Ray came in, I was out, and he had laid them on top of my field desk. At the mess table they said I had something like six or seven letters. When I heard that I immediately took off for the office without further ado and believe it or not there were exactly seven letters. In detail they were: an announcement of the birth of Darryl Wade Bernett, a V-mail from Mrs. Reed, an airmail from Aunty Florence, a V-mail from Mrs. Boyer and three V-mails from you dated the 7th, 10th and 12th. This is the first time I have received a V-mail from you out of chronological order.

I think you will be interested in the announcement so here it is:

As a potential president of our nation,
I've just arrived at the St. Anne station;
My coming caused a mild sensation,
Mom and Dad are full of elation.
For them I mean an extra ration,
And until I acquire some education,
For the present my occupation
Will be Triangular Saturation.

          Eight Pounds, Fifteen Ounces
              Born June 16, 1943

P.S. Here is something I forgot to say -
       My Mom and Dad are Dotty and Ray.

In a way it was a good thing that your letter of the 7th was delayed after all because I read the name of the new Bernett from the announcement first. It is a clever and amusing card, isn't it?

Say, before I forget it the second day in a row. The Eversharp pencil which I lost so mysteriously a few days ago, turned up again in the most extraordinary fashion. After breakfast yesterday morning, I returned to the tent and there on my bed was the lost pencil. I couldn't possibly have placed it there because not fifteen minutes before that I had folded my blankets and mattress covers up at the head of the cot, leaving the rest of the canvas empty. I asked all the other members of the tent if they had found it for me and put it there but they didn't know a thing about it. I guess it will have to remain one of those unsolved mysteries. Still I was mighty tickled to have it back again no matter how it got there.

You and I have heard the song "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain" countless times, yet how many times have we seen such a sight. It had never dawned on me that such a thing might be a scene of beauty until it actually happened. The full moon rises rather late in the evening and the other night between nine and ten it was behind the peak of the mountain which Larry and I climbed a week or so ago. A half an hour later it was just coming over the peak itself. It is such an unusual and pretty sight that the only way I can express my feeling is to tell you that I just stood there looking at it and saying to myself "gee whiz" in a sort of wondering and awesome tone.

/s/ Roman