Cpl Roman F. Klick 36620923
Co "A", 353rd Engr Regt
A.P.O. #502, c/o Postmaster
San Francisco, California
August 5, 1943

Dear Aunty Clara,

I wrote a letter to Aunty Florence earlier in the day and quite a lot has happened since then. For instance, it was uncertain at that time whether or not we would have any more movie pictures shown at our amphitheater. Well, we did have one. It was the one I was telling you about yesterday or the day before, "It Ain't Hay" with Abbott and Costello. The picture was strictly corny but, ahem, a movie operator doesn't pay to much attention to the story. I went to the projection booth immediately after supper and arrived just as Lt Yantis brought in the speaker. He then went to his tent while I set the speaker on its stand next to the screen, set up the projector for the evening, and turned on the pre-movie records. He came back down to the room shortly before the picture was to be shown and we had to do a last minute job of splicing. He then took care of the first two reels while I handled the last one. To tell the truth I was rather nervous thinking I might mess the ending up but an accident happened which had the effect of cooling me down. The film suddenly jumped the track and appeared as a blur on the screen. I had to stop the machine and reset it and start the machine up once more. It still hadn't been fixed back to normal so I had to repeat the operation. This had to be done quickly because the fellows were still waiting for the rest of the movie. I figured that since I had been able to handle that difficulty, the simple procedure of ending the picture, turning on the flood lights, and starting the records once again would be nothing at all. It was more fun than ever before and I hope that I will soon be running the whole show every so often.

The PX was selling small folding chairs for 50( a throw and they went like hotcakes. They are perfect for sitting on while watching the movie or bringing into the projection room. It is more or less on the order of a folding chair without any back and the seat is made of canvas instead of wood.

I received the "Reader's Digest" today but there are very few items left which I have not already read. It seems that the company subscription arrives more than a week before my own subscription.

I also received your letter of July 26. You mentioned Sgt Matcha in your letter of that date. Does Mae know where he is? He could not have left the country so very long ago because if I recall correctly, he was taking his training in the Medical Corps just about the time I was drafted into the Army.

So I was at my birthday party thru the proxy of my picture, eh? It is indeed an honor and a privilege to know that so many good people have taken the time out to think of me and I thank them, one and all, from the very deepest and innermost part of my heart. But no kidding, that must have been the craziest party that ever went on in the house. That was a good one putting my initial on an imaginary island on my birthday cake.

So the new arrivals name at the Millers is Marvin Paul. Naturally, they got the name Paul from Uncle Paul but where and why did they pick up the name Marvin. Is that some name on Marty's side of the family? Marvin is the name of Dolores's uncle who is in the Marines and only three years older than she is.

Since you received the copy of the Bulldozer which I sent you, I will send along last week's Home Edition tomorrow.

I finally gave Harvey Beaumont back his wrist watch. It is about time I did that. Maybe it will speed up delivery on my watch which is taking a mighty long time for Air-Mail. They sold one watch per company at the PX today. The price was $17 but it was an unknown make.

The PX was also selling candy bars and I broke my promise of eighteen hours and bought myself six bars.

We were finished rewinding the reels in the projection room at nine bells but I talked to Larry for over an hour before beginning this letter so it is very close to eleven right now.

So-long,   /s/ Roman   Roman