Sgt Roman F. Klick 36620923
HS 1393 Engr APO 709
c/o PM San Francisco, California
27 June 1944

Dear Aunty Clara,

At noon today I began writing the first letter of the day but since it was interrupted, I never did finish it and finally tore it up and threw it in the waste basket. Then, after supper, I started to write another one but didn't get past first base with that and took off for the show at the other outfit. Now, here I am again at nine-fifteen at night still attempting to write that first letter.

I really couldn't afford to take the evening off but "I had a hard day at the office" and wanted to get away from it all. At first Lewis and I were going to go, then we decided not to go and at the last minute we said "So what" and off we went. Here is the reason we shouldn't have gone: We are beginning the inspections again tomorrow. In the morning we are having a physical inspection and then during the day there is a shoe inspection, a mess kit inspection, a bayonet inspection and a rifle inspection.

Now what we should have been doing this evening was cleaning up those items but the way I figure it is that they gig most of the rifles and other things they look at no matter how much you work on it so as long as you keep the things in their natural condition and just trust to luck on not having it inspected, that is all that is needed. I will give those articles the usual once over this evening or early tomorrow morning.

The show we saw was "Salute to the Marines" with Wallace Berry, and Fay Bainter. It was in technicolor and although a bit outdated and covered with anachronisms, it proved to be entertaining and was well worth the effort it took to go and see it. And it did take considerable effort upon our part for after we were all seated in a huge 2½-ton truck ready to go when the driver noticed he had exceeded the legal limit for the number of passengers he could carry. As a result, Lewis dispatched one of the fellows for another truck and while we were waiting for it to come back, we had to pass up three possible rides from various people.

By the way, I'm having a great deal of difficulty in writing any letters these nights since they bring the radio on the desk right next to me and it is banging away at the war news not three feet from my ear and I stop typing 50% of the time to listen to it and then forget whatever I had begun to write about. Right now the news is off and Red Skelton is on the air.

Our meal today was a really good one. That was at noon when we had baked ham, mashed potatoes, bread and butter, apple pie, ice cream and orange juice. Quite a menu, eh?

By the way, the reason I've not said anything about the letter situation is because I intend to use the next page to and for answering the three letters I received from you this morning, dated the 18th, 19th and the 20th. That is an improvement over two consecutive letterless days.

O yes, I had quite a few rides in the jeep today. In fact, I think I took about five rides today and enjoyed every one of them. I can appreciate the way Lt London kept riding in his jeep for the first month after we hit this island for the novelty of that small car never seems to wear off.

/s/ Roman