Sgt Roman F. Klick 36620923
HS 1393 Engr APO 709
c/o PM San Francisco, California
6 July 1944

Dear Aunty Clara,

I am CQ today and didn't even know about it until some ten minutes ago. The time now is about four-thirty. The Colonel is coming around Saturday so the Major has decided to inspect tomorrow and as a result, all the office personal has to return to the office at eight o'clock this evening to clean the place up --- mop and all that sort of thing. We had a bit of a discussion about all the clerks being present for this affair and Jack says that he had a date with the boys to go to the show and wouldn't be able to go if we had to clean up at eight bells; therefore, we tried to swing the deal into cleaning up a little later. Ten o'clock would be okay by me but the others thought it was too late and Lt Suiter wanted to stick to his eight o'clock time, so eight o'clock it is. But what does the time matter anyhow?

I received two V-mails from you today dated the 28th and the 29th. The one dated the 29th came first in which you were glad that the tooth was taken out and then in the afternoon the one from the 28th says that you hope I don't have any trouble with it after it is out. So the neighborhood has, in effect, struck me off their rolls, eh? Well, it saves me from writing a letter of thanks to them.

That seems odd that Dr Kolar, being such a good dentist otherwise, should have trouble with taking out teeth. I didn't think that was the general rule for teeth extraction for when I went to him during my summer vacation two years ago to get that one pulled, I was fearless thinking that it would be a snap but the way he had to dig down beneath the gum to get a grip on it was what I thought made it hurt so terribly bad for the while. This Dr (Captain) Stieler probes around a good bit with his pick and asks if you feel anything and then waits a little while longer for "good measure" as he puts it. Meanwhile the 13th of July isn't getting any further away and that day will be the real acid test as to whether I'm going to let the army complete the job they have now begun on my teeth.

A person spends at least twenty to thirty dollars a year keeping the teeth in condition when they aren't of the strong type so this free medical service is almost like adding that much money to one's yearly pay.

By the way, I have the indications of my first cold since 1942 or was it Jan 1943. I've managed to escape having a cold ever since finishing those three consecutive ones immediately upon entering the army. Many times I wondered how come I escaped them when all my friends came down with them but this time the cold germs nipped me good for Jack had a cold, then Sack, then Bill etcetera so that for the past two weeks I've been constantly bombarded with cold germs and by keeping late hours my resistance was torn down to the point where the body could no longer keep off the onslaught and there you are --- a cold. However, just to be nice and jovial about the whole thing, it may be malaria instead of a cold.

We had the rifle inspection etcetera today but fortunately, none of the fellows in our barracks were gigged although I noticed that they did look at my cup.